Archive for September, 2009
Posted September 17th 2009 under twitter
So, our Twitter client is almost ready for 1.0 prime time. We’ve been doing some closed beta testing – there are a couple of features which need a bit of work yet, but we’ll probably be able to release this in one or two weeks.
We’ve tried to cover all standard functionality, and add a few advanced features as well. Here’s a short summary:
- All standard functionality: timeline, @mentions, DMs, favorites, following/followers, follow/unfollow, profiles… and of course tweeting!
- Quick Reply / Retweet / Favorite in each tweet
- Trending Topics / Saved searches support
- Simple, no-nonsense interface. Up/Down/Click and using a menu is all you need to know.
- Multiple-account support.
- Twitpic support: you’ll see the picture without having to navigate over there
- Camera support! Take a snapshot from the tweeting form itself and have it automatically uploaded to Twitpic. Great to share where you are in a moment.
- Pretty good support for touch-screen phones (we’re testing mainly on Nokia 5800 and Samsung F480)
- Support for QWERTY keyboard phones (Nokia E71 is currently our main testing device for this)
A couple other important features will be coming soon with 1.1. Please let us know which ones you’d like to see, anyway!
And here are a few screenshots (from the Samsung F480):
These are on a Nokia 5800 (the large screen allows a lot of content to be shown – click for the full-size version!):
And here it is how it looks on the Nokia E71, which has a landscape form factor screen to make room for the QWERTY keyboard:
We’re of course aiming at being compatible with all common Java phone models, but these are the ones we use almost daily: Nokia: N80, 5800, 5220 XpressMusic, N95, Sony-Ericsson W880i, Samsung F480, Motorola VE 538. This should be a good sampling of phones out there. Here’s a partial list of phones where we’ve tested our apps to work correctly:
Nokia N70, Nokia N73, Nokia N80, Nokia N81, Nokia N95, Nokia E50, Nokia 6020, Nokia 6021, Nokia 6230, Nokia 6288, Nokia 6500, Nokia 5610 XpressMusic, Nokia 5220 XpressMusic, Nokia 2630, Nokia 3109c, Nokia 3120 Classic, Nokia 5800, Sony-Ericssson W880i, Sony-Ericssson K610i, Sony-Ericssson Z610i, Sony-Ericssson K800i, Samsung SGH-U700, Samsung SGH-J800, Samsung SGH-i560, Samsung SGH-L760, Samsung SGH-F480, LG KU-380, LG KU-800, Motorola RAZR V3, Motorola VE 538
We’ll be working to make sure we are compatible with most phones in the future.
We have a Blackberry port too (not in J2ME mode, but as a native Blackberry app) which is working quite nicely. There are a few things we have to fix yet before we can release it, but expect a Blackberry version available soon too. And other platforms will come shortly too!
Follow us at @j1ck for news!