Posted October 14th 2009 under twitter
So, finally, with the help of Hoops and Yoyo (on the left), the first public beta of our Java Twitter client is ready. The simplest way to install is to open your Java-enabled phone’s web (or WAP) browser and type the following URL:
You’ll get to a simple page where you can choose the appropriate version for your phone, click on the relevant link, and the app will be downloaded and installed on your phone. After this, we hope using the app is rather self-explanatory.
The font size of that page is too small on some phones (esp. Nokia), but there is not much we can do until we customize it for each phone. Rest assured, fonts in the app are big and readable! That is actually one of the main design goals of j1ck.tweet and our whole system.
I hate feature lists. I think app design should be about the user experience. But of course not everybody thinks alike, and knowing whether some required functionality is supported is often useful. So here it goes, summary of j1ck.tweet features:
- All standard functionality: timeline, @mentions, DMs, favorites, following/followers, follow/unfollow, profiles… and of course tweeting!
- Simple, no-nonsense interface. Up/Down/Click and using a menu is all you need to know.
- Quick Reply / Retweet / Favorite in each tweet
- Trending Topics / Saved searches support
- Multiple-account support.
- Twitpic support: you’ll see the picture without having to navigate over there
- Camera support! Take a snapshot from the tweeting form itself and have it automatically uploaded to Twitpic. Great to share where you are in a moment.
- Pretty good support for touch-screen phones (we’re testing mainly on Nokia 5800 and Samsung F480)
- Support for QWERTY keyboard phones (Nokia E71 is currently our main testing device for this)
Here is an (incomplete) list of phones where we’ve tested this to work fine:
Nokia N70, Nokia N73, Nokia N80, Nokia N81, Nokia N95, Nokia E50, Nokia 6230, Nokia 6288, Nokia 6500, Nokia 5610 XpressMusic, Nokia 5220 XpressMusic, Nokia 2630, Nokia 3109c, Nokia 3120 Classic, Nokia 5800, Sony-Ericssson W880i, Sony-Ericssson K610i, Sony-Ericssson Z610i, Sony-Ericssson K800i, Samsung SGH-U700, Samsung SGH-J800, Samsung SGH-i560, Samsung SGH-L760, Samsung SGH-F480 (touch-screen), LG KU-380, LG KU-800, Motorola RAZR V3, Motorola VE 538
Temporarily, it won’t work on the Nokia 6020/6021, which are quite old and where app size is limited to 128kb (!). We plan to reduce the size back to let it work again on this phones, but we haven’t had the time to do so yet.
All feedback will be very welcome (that’s the goal!). Just write to firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope to use this public beta to start testing the scalability of our server (which, for obvious reasons, hasn’t yet been tested “on the wild”), and compatibility with as many phones as possible. But still, we’ve already been using this ourselves for weeks, and we are already enjoying it a lot, and I hope you will too!
You must be logged in to post a comment.